The coursework provided meets the academic requirements for licensure as a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) in the state of Texas. Marriage and Family Therapy Students at Houston Baptist University complete a 3-semester practicum, in a University-approved counseling setting under the supervision of a licensed marriage and family therapist supervisor (LMFT-S), as part of the degree plan. Before becoming an LMFT, the graduate must pass the MFT Jurisprudence Exam and complete a minimum of two years of supervised work experience (3000 hours) in marriage and family therapy services.
The program emphasizes the development of research supported counseling skills while encouraging students to reflect on their personal values, and to grow in maturity.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Marriage, Couple, and Family Counseling Theories
- Assessment and Treatment of Couples and Families
- Practicum in Marriage and Family Counseling
- Advanced Practicum in Marriage and Family Counseling
- Single Adult Issues, Premarital Counseling and Marital Enrichment Counseling
- Counseling Adolescents and Their Families
- Introduction to Human Sexuality
- Gender Issues and Differences
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
International students deadline for spring semester - October 1st.
DisciplinesFamily & Consumer Science Counselling Psychology View 608 other Masters in Counselling Psychology in United States
- Show proof of sufficient English skills
- TOEFL, IELTS, SAT and/or ACT scores, OR
- Completion of two (2) classes of collegiate English taken in the United States
- Certificate of completion from Language Consultants International (ESL program)
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent at an accredited institution of higher education whose instruction is conducted in English.
International51750 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1725 USD per credit during 12 months.
National51750 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1725 USD per credit during 12 months.
Tuition is $1725 per three-unit course
Living costs for Houston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.