This research-oriented, intensive program in Late Antique, Medieval and Early Modern Studies at Central European University (CEU) grants an interdisciplinary Master of Arts degree in Medieval Studies, while encouraging students to focus on their chosen area of specialty within a highly comparative and interdisciplinary framework.
The core curriculum:
- reflects the multi- and interdisciplinary goals of the department emphasizing the interconnectedness of different facets of the medieval past. It is recommended for applicants who come with a background in any aspect of medieval or historical studies and a minimum of four years of undergraduate/previous studies. Students with a focus on Late Antiquity, medieval Latin, Byzantine, Slavonic or early modern Ottoman culture are welcome.
- includes an emphasis on modern research methodologies and intense work with the languages of medieval source materials.
- Program approved and registered by the New York State Education Department
- Program registered as a non-degree post-graduate specialization program by the Hungarian Educational Authority (HEA)
- Program accredited by the Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ-Austria)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Kingship and Dynastic Cults in the Latin Middle Ages
- Art and Liturgy in Western Christianity
- The "Byzantine Commonwealth" in the Age of Constantine VII Porphyrogenennetos
- Demography, Trade and Urbanization in Central Europe
- Medieval Monasticism
- The Ottomans and Europeans in the Early Modern Era
- Church Politics,Theology, Philosophy and Spirituality in Justinian’s Empire
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 10 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Feb. 1: financial aid
- March 15: self-financing candidates requiring a study visa
- Aug. 15: self-financing candidates not requiring a study visa
- US degree credits: 40
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 3 other Masters in Modern History in Austria
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed online application form: www.ceu.edu/apply
- Proof of English proficiency
- Letters of recommendation
- Minimum four-year bachelor’s or master’s degree in history, art history, archeology, philosophy, philology or literature
- Academic records
- Research proposal
- Familiarity with a relevant source language
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 10 months.
EU/EEA12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 10 months.
Generous scholarships are available to accepted students from any country.
Living costs for Vienna
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
In pursuit of its mission, CEU strives to attract world-class graduate talent from all over the world, offering generous scholarships available to students from any country.
In 2018-2019, 82% of CEU students received financial aid, ranging from tuition awards to scholarships with stipends and housing. Learn more about how to fund your studies at www.ceu.edu/financialaid.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.