This Sustainable Development at KU Leuven trains future sustainability leaders and acquaints them with the necessary interdisciplinary knowledge, skills and methodologies to address and solve the intertwined socio-ecological challenges that currently hinder the construction of more sustainable paths of development.
This master's programme embraces sustainable development beyond the walls of universities and classrooms to engage with real-world localities in their search for solutions to pressing problems. You will carry out state-of-the-art scientific research in the functioning of geo and ecosystems at different spatial and temporal scales.
The Master in Sustainable Development contains two different tracks: the Erasmus Mundus joint Master in Sustainable Territorial Development and the ICP Master of Science in Sustainable Development.
Job opportunities for graduates can be found in organisations with responsibility for the creation of sustainable territories such as communities, enterprises, non-state actors and civil society organizations, central government, and many international organizations.
The extensive experience, international collaboration and multidisciplinary insights gained from these programmes will open up new perspectives on sustainability while introducing you to a variety of policy tools and management strategies in divergent territorial contexts.
More informationVisit official programme website
- The Sustainable Development Challenge
- Academic Leveling: Space, Society and Ecology
- Geography of Development
- Global Change, Ecosystems and Sustainability
- Current Topics in Conservation Biology
- Fieldwork in the Global South
- Sustainable Development Living Lab and Project
- Individual Portfolio in Sustainable Development
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesSustainable Development View 13 other Masters in Sustainable Development in Belgium
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- This Master programme aims at attracting students from both natural and social sciences, willing to bridge both ecological and societal domains of the interdisciplinary sustainability problematic.
- We expect good candidates with a background in the following fields: geography, ecology, sustainability studies, bio-economy, spatial planning, development studies, environmental management, environmental sciences, biodiversity, conservation biology, landscape ecology, political ecology, human ecology, social ecology, etc.
- However, students with a more general background in social sciences (economics, political sciences, sociology, anthropology) and applied sciences (bio-engineering, architecture) are also invited to apply.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.