Who It's For
The Master of Science in Mental Health Counseling at the Westminster College Salt Lake City is designed for students who are interested in becoming a mental health therapist, and specifically a clinical mental health counselor. Entering students must have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or a recognized international college or university. Students are not required to have an undergraduate major in the social sciences (e.g., psychology).
What You'll Learn
- Articulate the fundamental knowledge of research, theory, and practice in the field of counseling in areas including professional counseling orientation and ethical practice, social and cultural diversity, human growth and development, career development, counseling and helping relationships, group counseling, assessment and testing, and research and program evaluation.
- Assess clients and apply appropriate intervention strategies to help clients resolve their problems of living.
- Establish your professional identity as a clinical mental health counselor.
- Engage in critical thinking and demonstrate a heightened self-awareness.
- Counsel clients in a manner that is informed by your preferred counseling theory.
- Practice counseling with an acute sensitivity to issues of diversity.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Seminar in Professional Counseling Roles
- Counseling Ethics
- Statistics and Research Methods
- Psychopathology and the DSM
- Individual Counseling
- Human Growth and Development
- Tests and Measurements
- Group Counseling
- Applications of Cognitive Behavioral Theory
- Child and Family Counseling
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Counselling Psychology View 1223 other Masters in Psychology in United States
- $50 application fee (participation in an online or on-campus visit waives this fee)
- Official college or university transcripts
- Professional statement
- Professional resume detailing professional work experience, including relevant job titles, work experiences, responsibilities, and related activities
- 3 letters of recommendation from academic or professional colleagues who can address the candidate's academic and interpersonal skills relevant to practice as a professional counselor
- Scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) taken within the past 5 years.
- Proof of clear state and federal background checks at the time of admission. Review background check instructions for guidance. The background check may take up to 3 weeks to process.
International15336 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 852 USD per credit during 36 months.
National15336 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 852 USD per credit during 36 months.
Living costs for Salt Lake City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.