The graduate program in Materials Science and Engineering at the University of Illinois offers students a mixture of high quality education and cutting-edge research. U.S. News and World Report ranks the graduate program in materials at Illinois among the top programs in the nation.
- Facilities such as the Illinois Materials Research Laboratory provide unparalleled access and training on the world-class instrumentation you will need for your research.
- Graduate study in the Department of Materials Science and Engineering (MatSE) at University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign provides the fundamental knowledge, practical skills, and professional experience necessary to enter a successful career involving advanced materials.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Kinetic Processes in Materials
- Laboratory Studies in Materials Science and Engineering
- Microstructure Determination
- Ceramic Materials & Properties
- Electrical Ceramics
- Polymer Science & Engineering
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemical Engineering Materials Science & Engineering View 236 other Masters in Chemical Engineering in United States
- A minimum of 10 hours of MSE 400 or 500- level course work at the graduate level.
- A minimum of 14 hours of 500-level course work overall applied toward the degree (excluding MSE 599).
- Materials Colloquium MSE 595 must be taken every semester in the first two years of residence. A maximum of 2 hours may be applied toward the degree.
- MSE 529 Hard Materials Student Seminar or MSE 559 Soft Materials Student Seminar must be taken every semester. A maximum of 4 hours may be applied toward the degree.
- Students enrolled in the MS program with non-thesis option are not eligible for a research assistantship from the MatSE Department.
- Applicants who do not receive offers of admission to the Ph.D. program may request to be considered for the M.S. program without filing a separate application. Instructions for this request may be found in the decision letter for the Ph.D. program application.
International36150 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 36150 USD per year during 12 months.
National36150 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 36150 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State18998 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18998 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Urbana
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.