Candidates for the master's degree may specialize in French Studies, French Linguistics, French Language Learning, or Italian.
Areas of specialization offered in Italian are Italian literature and cultural studies and Italian linguistics.
- The M.A. in Italian at University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign requires a minimum of 32 graduate hours.
- Students must also successfully complete exams in four areas of Italian literature/cultural studies or three areas of Italian linguistics, chosen in consultation with their advisor.
- Our faculty possess strengths in literary interpretation, critical theory, the study of civilization, cinema, theoretical and applied linguistics, and computer-assisted teaching.
- Members of the faculty have received national and international recognition; graduates serve on the faculties of numerous colleges and universities both in this country and abroad.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature Linguistics View 634 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- transcripts (and an English translation where applicable), certificates of degree and/or diplomas from all institutions of higher education that you have attended (junior college, college/university, or graduate school).
- and two (2) writing samples (minimum five pages each), in the form of 2 papers (such as term papers or research papers, tesi, etc.), at least 1 of which must be written in Italian.
In addition, you will have to supply:
- the contact information for three referees who will provide a letter of recommendation, preferably professors familiar with your work. Submission guidelines for these letters are explained in the online application form.
- a Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score report IF your native language is English. Please have ETS send your GRE scores to institution code #1836.
International28464 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28464 USD per year during 12 months.
National28464 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28464 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State13176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13176 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Urbana
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.