In this Master's programme, you will specialise in biorefining and related industries in the circular economy.
The Master's Programme in Biorefineries is delivered as flexible distance learning independent of place or time. It is well suited for people already in the working world in Finland or abroad, aiming for professional development and the upgrading of qualifications. Part of the courses have teaching sessions with a fixed schedule, whereas most assignments have a flexible schedule. There are no physical in-class sessions, but some online lectures are given during regular office hours.
Because the programme is based on distance learning, international applicants from outside the EU cannot apply for a residence permit for the studies.
You will acquire the knowledge and skills to work in different fields of the biorefining industry, most typically in research, development, or various operations of biorefining sites and related equipment manufacturers globally.
You will also be able to work in project management and consulting companies, education, or public organisations such as municipal authorities or state agencies. You will be able to discuss future choices critically within the biorefining industry, to renew the strategy of your company, or to work as a decision-maker.
The circular economy is also a very closely related field: this Biorefineries programme from LUT University is not restricted to the biorefining industry but applies more generally to industry related to the use of biobased renewable resources.
In addition, you will obtain a firm basis for continuing your studies in doctoral programmes.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Core studies, 19 ECTS credits, include introduction courses to M.Sc. studies and research in the field of biorefineries and chemical engineering in general. They also include studies on sustainability and the connection between technology and society.
- Advanced specialisation studies, 58 ECTS credits, in biobased process engineering deal with, for example, alternative biorefineries and enabling technologies, e.g. separation technologies, biological wastewater treatment and bioeconomy.
- In elective studies, you can choose any discipline at LUT or other universities to complete 120 ECTS credits.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- The next regular admission is 1 December 2021 − 19 January 2022
DisciplinesEnergy & Power Engineering Sustainable Energy
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
You are eligible to apply to technology programmes with one of the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Science in Technology OR closely related to Technology - Completed in a University - All countries
- Other degree mentioned in a programme-specific eligibility requirements completed worldwide (excluding Finland)
To possibly get admitted,
- you must fulfill the programme-specific requirements.
- gain a minimum of 50% of the given points in the interview (regarding all the programmes excluding Electrical Engineering).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International13500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13500 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.