The University of Wisconsin Madison offers a Master of Genetic Counselor Studies. Our training program is fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Genetic Counseling and with the first class of genetic counselors starting in 1976, it is one of the most experienced programs in the United States.
The mission of the Master of Genetic Counselor Studies program at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is to educate competent and compassionate genetic counselors who will successfully enter the genetic counseling workforce and be lifelong learners and leaders in the field. To fulfill this mission, the program will provide students with a rigorous, comprehensive curriculum that includes:
- A diverse clinical experience that fosters interprofessional relationships
- Relevant research opportunities that encourage critical thinking and contribute to the knowledge base of the profession
- An environment that promotes socially responsible practice
- Students rotate through a variety of high quality clinical settings during their training at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health, including a comprehensive cancer center, tertiary perinatal care centers and hospitals dedicated solely to the care of children.
- The first-year clinical practicum in genetic counseling consists of four seven-week-long clinical rotations and one lab and public health rotation that spans the entire academic year. Rotations are designed to acquaint the student with the basic practice skills required, protocols used and professional issues encountered in genetic counseling.
- Clinical experiences in a variety of specialty clinics provide opportunities for initial development of skills in interviewing, data collection and counseling. Experiences in laboratory and public health settings provide an opportunity for students to explore non-clinical roles and become better acquainted with career-related disciplines.
- The second-year clinical practicum is an integrated program of clinical experiences consisting of three 10-week rotations, which take place during the intervening summer and each semester of the second year. The advanced practicum provides many opportunities for trainees to work toward perfecting skills in counseling, interviewing, data collection, case coordination and in ongoing care of families with genetic concerns.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Clinical Genetics Concepts
- Clinical Biochemical Genetics
- Laboratory Genetics and Genomics
- Cancer Genetics Risk Assessment and Counseling
- Clinical Embryology and Prenatal Diagnosis
- Medical Genetic Counseling Research Seminar
- Research Strategies and Analysis in Clinical Genetics
- Clinical Communication Skills
- Interviewing and Counseling
- Contemporary Professional Issues in Genetic Counseling
- 21 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCounselling Genetics View 516 other Masters in Genetics in United States
- Applicants must have a bachelor's degree. Although a specific major is not required, most applicants have a degree in a biological science (e.g. biology, genetics, biochemistry).
- The average GPA of admitted students is 3.5
- An applicant must complete courses in biochemistry, statistics and advanced genetics. An appropriate biochemistry course generally requires prerequisites that include at least one semester of chemistry and organic chemistry
- Completion of the GRE is required
- Your resume/CV
- Three letters of recommendation are required that demonstrate one’s academic, professional and advocacy strengths
International25548 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25548 USD per year during 21 months.
National25548 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25548 USD per year during 21 months.
In-State12220 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12220 USD per year during 21 months.
Living costs for Madison
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.