Genetic counselors are health professionals with specialized graduate degrees and experience in the areas of medical genetics and counseling. This master in Genetic Counseling is offered by the University of Wisconsin Madison.
Most enter the field from a variety of disciplines, including biology, genetics, nursing, psychology, public health, and social work. Clinical experiences in a variety of specialty clinics provide opportunities for initial development of skills in interviewing, data collection and counseling. Experiences in laboratory and public health settings provide an opportunity for students to explore non-clinical roles and become better acquainted with career-related disciplines.
Clinical practicums (counseling experience)
- Students rotate through a variety of high quality clinical settings during their training at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health, including a comprehensive cancer center, tertiary perinatal care centers and hospitals dedicated solely to the care of children.
- The clinic rotations are supervised by genetic counselors with American Board of Genetic Counseling certification, and by clinical geneticists with American Board of Medical Genetics certification.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Medical Genetics
- Interviewing and Counseling for the Genetic Counselor
- Theory and Practice in Interviewing
- Contemporary Professional Issues in Genetic Counseling
- Academic Methodologies and Resources for Genetic Counselors
- Genetic Counseling for Inborn Errors of Metabolism
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesCounselling Genetics View 906 other Masters in Counselling in United States
- Applicants must have a bachelor's degree. Although a specific major is not required, most applicants have a degree in a biological science (e.g. biology, genetics, biochemistry).
- The average GPA of admitted students is 3.5
- An applicant must complete courses in biochemistry, statistics and advanced genetics. An appropriate biochemistry course generally requires prerequisites that include at least one semester of chemistry and organic chemistry
- Completion of the GRE is required
- Your resume/CV
- Three letters of recommendation are required that demonstrate one’s academic, professional and advocacy strengths
International25336 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 25336 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National25336 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 25336 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State12009 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12009 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.