The master's track in these areas combine an array of in-depth courses with the use of advanced research methods for studying food properties: chemical, physical, physiological, and bioactive characteristics; material properties; microbial control and safety; sensory quality; procedures for the processing, storage, and preservation of foods. This master degree in Food Science is offered by the University of Wisconsin Madison.
Research areas in which the department has special expertise include: chemical attributes of proteins, enzymes, lipids, flavors, bioactive components, and pigments; processes for crystallizing, separating, freezing, and drying; food safety (detection, control, and mechanistic action of pathogenic microorganisms, and undesirable chemicals in food); process optimization and validation of critical processing limits. Commodity foci include: dairy products, confectionery products, fruits and vegetables, muscle foods, and fermented products.
- Understands, articulates, critiques and elaborates core paradigms in Food Science.
- Recognizes that life-long learning is critical for continued personal and professional development.
- Complies with principles of ethical and professional conduct.
- Sources and assembles evidence to address questions or identify gaps in knowledge in the field of food science.
- Evaluates and synthesizes information to address technical challenges.
- Selects research methods and practices appropriate to discovery activities.
- Creates knowledge that contributes to the field of food science.
- Clearly and effectively communicates technical information in oral and written formats.
- Works effectively within a team.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Food Chemistry
- Principles of Food Preservation
- Food Microbiology
- Statistical Methods for Bioscience
- Seminar Advanced
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesFood Sciences View 96 other Masters in Food Sciences in United States
- applicant's online application
- academic record (scanned PDF academic transcripts)
- official test scores (sent directly from the testing agency (code: 1846)) of Graduate Record Exams (GRE) and English proficiency test (non-native English speaking applicants only)
- recommendation letters (three)
- personal statement (reasons for graduate study) up to two pages double-spaced
- CV or resume
- applicant's particular research interest(s) as indicated in supplemental application
- available funding/space in their research lab
International25526 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 25526 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National25526 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 25526 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State12200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 12200 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.