At a Glance
The Strategic Studies programme of the University of Aberdeen provides you with ability to scrutinise real world security issues which challenge governments, conflict, armed services, peace, international organisations and business around the world. The programme intends to equip you with a range of advanced theoretical and operational understanding of the characteristics, practise and profound effects of use of force by states and non-state actors throughout the international system. The programme is multidisciplinary and international in course content, attracting international students.
You learn about the contribution of strategy as a mechanism for the application of power and force, addressing the nature of strategy, deterrence, arms control terrorism, counterinsurgency, sanctions and limited war. The history of international organisations and challenges contributing to the global order, will be examined. You learn about global security and its developments, policies in different areas and countries globally and defense policies internationally. You look at historical facets of transnational terrorism and different causes, plus you look at domestic, international and cultural ideological factors.
- Government organisations
- Non government organisations
- Private business
- Business organisations
- Strategic Theory
- Religion, Conflict and Security
- The use of Force in International Law
- Terrorism and Counter Terrorism
- Global Security Issues
- International Energy Security
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
Deadlines for applicants applying for full-time on campus postgraduate taught degrees starting in January will be confirmed shortly.
DisciplinesInternational Relations Strategic Management Political Science View 245 other Masters in Strategic Management in United Kingdom
- Applicants for admission will normally be expected to hold a relevant Honours degree with a 2:1 standard from a recognised university or body
- Applicants without this qualification may be admitted subject to having an alternative qualification, or an approved level of work experience appropriate to the field of study. Also taken into careful consideration is the trajectory of results, an applicant without an overall 2.1 but with 2.1 results in their final two years of study may be admitted
- English Language Requirements
- A degree certificate showing your qualifications
- A full transcript showing all the subjects you studied and the marks you have achieved in your degree(s) (original & official English translation)
- Personal Statement
- Two reference letters, one of which should be from your university discussing your academic ability
International22400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22400 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10600 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Aberdeen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.