At a Glance
The University of Aberdeen has been producing high quality Soil Science graduates for over 60 years, with world leading researchers, renowned consultants and senior government staff amongst our alumni. You will receive intensive training in soil and environmental sciences, with a large focus on field and laboratory based teaching. Our School maintains expertise in all core areas of soil science (biology, chemistry, physics and pedology), so you can be assured of teaching by experts in the field. The final component of the MSc is a research project, conducted under the supervision of either departmental staff or institutions and agencies with whom we have close links.
The Soil Science programme of the University of Aberdeen aims to provide you with:
- A fundamental understanding of the nature and properties of soils.
- An ability to apply knowledge in academic and real world contexts, such as food security or environmental sustainability.
- Opportunities to learn from world renowned researchers from a range of specific topics in soil science.
CareersGraduates of the MSc Soil Science have a variety of career options in industry including environmental and agricultural consulting, mining, forestry, laboratory analysis and utilities. Many graduates are also employed by government environmental agencies in the UK and internationally. Environmental and food security concerns have increased opportunities for soil science graduates. Students are encouraged to develop professional connections through the British Society of Soil Science (soils.org.uk), who provide links to practicing soil scientists in the UK and internationally.
As a taught, research focussed degree, the MRes Soil Science is intended to prepare students for a career in science, often as a precursor to PhD study.
- Environmental Consultant
- Land Remediation Specialist
- Soil Surveyor
- Core Skills in Environmental Science
- Global Soil Geography
- Soils for Food Security
- Ecosystem Processes
- Environmental Pollution
- Environmental Analysis
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Soil Science Botany View 19 other Masters in Soil Science in United Kingdom
- A UK 2:1 honours degree (or international equivalent), in a biological, environmental or physical science, geography, or other relevant subject is required.
- A UK 2:1 honours degree (or international equivalent), in a biological, environmental or physical science, geography, or other relevant subject; applicants with a 2ii (or equivalent), particularly with some relevant experience, may also be considered. We also consider individuals with degrees in a wider range of disciplines who are clearly motivated by the programme and have some relevant experience.
English Language Requirements
An up-to-date CV/Resumé
A degree certificate showing your qualifications
A full transcript showing all the subjects you studied and the marks you have achieved in your degree(s) (original & official English translation)
International25100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25100 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11800 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Aberdeen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.