The aim of the Biomedical Sciences - Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism programme from Maastricht University is to understand the physiology and the mechanisms underlying these derailments to provide the basis for the ultimate design and optimisation of preventive and therapeutic nutritional and life-style interventions that improve metabolic health and alleviate the diseased state.
In this specialisation you will study deeply into:
- the integrative and interorgan physiology of key metabolic processes;
- the biochemical and cellular basis for diet- and exercise-induced alterations in health;
- the biochemical and cellular basis for the health threatening effects of a sedentary life-style;
- how nutrition and physical activity affect non-communicable diseases;
- identification of routes fundamental to the design of non-exercise related life-style interventions to promote energy turnover and health.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Course 1: Nutrition, Physical Activity and Metabolism: Fundamental Aspects
This course will provide in-depth insight into the major systems of human nutritional and exercise physiology and metabolism. With basic knowledge on nutrient uptake across the gastrointestinal tract as the starting point, the course will focus on cell and organ specific routes for conversion of macromolecules into their oxidizable derivatives.
- Course 2: Lifestyle Interventions and Metabolism; a Translational Perspective
In this course the role of diet and physical activity to prevent chronic disease in humans will be considered. Lifestyle factors modulating metabolism on a micro (cellular) and macro (organ) scale will be studied via a translational approach.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesBiomedicine Nutrition & Dietetics Sports Sciences View 29 other Masters in Biomedicine in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- you have a relevant bachelor's degree from a Dutch university,
- you have a relevant bachelor's degree from an EEA university (note: in case of doubt, you may be asked to pass a GRE-test*),
- you have a relevant bachelor's degree from a non-EEA university (note: in this case, you always need to pass a GRE-test),
- you have a relevant university master's degree.
You have a degree from a university of applied sciences:
- you have completed a thesis and have obtained at least 15 ECTS* in academic writing, statistics and/or methodology, or
- you have completed the university track of Hogeschool Zuyd.
International16800 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16800 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.