At a Glance
The global oil and gas sector operates in a complex environment characterised by various influential factors such as government-controlled hydrocarbons, financial markets, the global crude oil market, economic uncertainty, licensing, taxation and contracts. These factors have a significant influence on both investment decision-making and government policy-making, so a comprehensive knowledge of related economics and law is essential. On the Energy Economics and Law programme of the University of Aberdeen, you will gain the real-world knowledge you need to enhance your career opportunities in legal and financial oil and gas contexts.
The University of Aberdeen is a global leader in teaching and research in the field of energy and this programme builds on our considerable strengths in these areas. Our University is home to two relevant and internationally recognised research centres: the Aberdeen Centre for Research in Energy Economics and Finance and the Aberdeen University Centre for Energy Law. Studying here, you will benefit from interacting with leading researchers in the field of energy economics and law – including one of the world’s best recognised energy experts, Professor Alex Kemp OBE – and with a broad network of national and multi-national employers through our visiting speaker programme.
Career opportunities range from positions within oil and gas companies, international law firms or government ministries. Past graduates have gone on to be Commercial Advisers, Energy Consultants, Investment Analysts, Market Analysts, and Oil and Gas Associates. Others have gone on to complete a PhD, or to pursue careers in politics, business or international finance.
- Commercial Adviser
- Energy and Business Consultant
- Investment Analyst
- Market Analyst
- Oil and Gas Associates
- Project Manager
- Critical Legal Thinking and Scholarship
- State Control of Hydrocarbons
- Corporate Finance and Accounting for Energy
- Energy and Petroleum Economics
- Real Options and Decision Making
- Issues in Energy & Petroleum Economics
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
Deadlines for applicants applying for full-time on campus postgraduate taught degrees starting in January will be confirmed shortly.
DisciplinesEconomics International Law Mining, Oil & Gas View 63 other Masters in Mining, Oil & Gas in United Kingdom
- The minimum entry requirements for this programme is a degree at 2:1 (upper second class) UK Honours level (or a degree from a non-UK institution which is judged by the University to be of equivalent worth).
- To study for a Postgraduate Taught degree at the University of Aberdeen it is essential that you can speak, understand, read, and write English fluently.
- Degree Transcript: a full transcript showing all the subjects you studied and the marks you have achieved in your degree(s) (original & official English translation).
- Personal Statement: a detailed personal statement explaining your motivation for this particular programme.
International25100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25100 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11800 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Aberdeen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.