At a Glance
Developed on the back of a recognised need for qualified Geophysicists within industry, this programme is delivered by our Department of Geology and Geophysics equips students with the skills for careers in the hydrocarbon, minerals exploration or associated service industries, or broader geophysics research.
The unique Geophysics programme of the University of Aberdeen is designed to expose students to the theory and practice of modern Geophysics, with an emphasis on cutting edge techniques for understanding the structure, dynamics and composition of the Earth from the near surface to the deep interior. The content is broad-based and integrative with a strong focus on the quantitative aspects of geophysical data analysis and interpretation.
Successful completion of this programme will open up opportunities for students with oil and gas operators and mineral exploration companies, as well as dedicated geophysics service companies. Over half of our graduates now enjoy a Geophysics Industry or Lecturing career, with a quarter undertaking Geophysics research towards a PhD and the remainder are employed in the Digital Technology sector.
- Seismic Reflection
- Time Series
- Earth Physics, Structure and Processes
- Field Geophysical Data Acquisition
- Geophysical Inverse Theory and Statistics
- Topics in Advance Applied Geophysics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , National
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesPhysics Earth Sciences Geography View 127 other Masters in Geography in United Kingdom
- Our minimum entry requirement for this programme is a Geophysics, Mathematics or Physics degree at 2:1 (upper second class) UK Honours level (or an Honours degree from a non-UK institution which is judged by the University to be of equivalent worth)
- Those with a 2:1 in Geology, Engineering Geology, Environmental Science or similar degree will also be considered where the applicant can demonstrate proven ability in Geophysics, Mathematics and/or Physics
- Key subjects you should have covered: At least one University-level Mathematics and/or Physics and/or Geophysics module
- English Language Requirements
International28764 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28764 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12800 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Aberdeen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.