The Clinical Microbiology programme offered at University of Nottingham is delivered through distance learning meaning you can study with us from anywhere in the world. It is offered part-time providing flexibility to study alongside work or around your lifestyle.
The course is aimed at healthcare professionals or new graduates aiming for a career in healthcare, specialising in clinical microbiology. It is also appealing to medically qualified students who wish to pursue training towards obtaining Fellow of the Royal College of Pathologists (FRCPath) status. The course is open to home, EU and international students and is 100% online-based.
You will be trained in clinical microbiology and infectious diseases, with particular emphasis on patient management and infection control.
- The course has received full accreditation by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS)
- The School of Life Sciences has an excellent reputation for cutting-edge research in a range of biomedical and related fields
- The school has been awarded Athena SWAN Silver status. Athena SWAN champions good working practices to advance the representation of women in STEMM subjects.
- We've been recognised as delivering a Gold standard in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), which aims to recognise and reward excellent learning and teaching.
Careers and professional development
The MSc graduates are very much in demand by employers in both the private and public sectors and have the opportunity to establish successful careers in a range of areas.
The Clinical Microbiology MSc (Distance Learning) enables you to acquire advanced knowledge of molecular and clinical microbiology to prepare you for hospital-based clinical microbiology, infectious disease and public health positions. In addition, you will gain numerous transferable skills which are applicable to a wide variety of vocations and career opportunities.Many UK-based students will go on to do FRCPath exams, take up positions as trainee diagnostic microbiologists (Biomedical Scientists) or Clinical Scientists, or pursue higher degrees such as PhD or MD.
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Introduction to Medical Microbiology
- Viral Pathogenesis and Infection
- Human Pathogens
- Diagnostic Microbiology and Laboratory Methods
- Research Methods and Statistics
- Clinical Syndromes in Infectious Disease
- Prevention and Treatment of Infection
- Infection Control and Public Health
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesHuman Medicine Microbiology Health Sciences View 5 other Masters in Microbiology in United Kingdom
- 2:1 hons degree or international equivalent
- Applicants with a 2:2 or international equivalent may be considered on an individual basis.
International24390 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 24390 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA8010 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8010 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.