The Master of Arts program in Audio Sciences from Johns Hopkins University is intended both for current audio professionals who wish to obtain a post-baccalaureate credential and individuals with a background in science, technology, and/or music who are seeking additional training in order to gain employment in the audio or acoustics industry.
Students choose from two tracks: a concentration in Recording and Production or Acoustical Studies. Core course work includes Musical Acoustics, Electroacoustics, Psychoacoustics, and Architectural Acoustics. The remaining coursework in each track consists of courses specific to the concentration chosen by the student in accordance with his or her background and professional goals.
The Recording and Production path prepares students for careers in audio engineering with alumni working in recording studios, broadcast, video game sound, audiovisual system design, speaker/headphone design, and more. Courses include practical training with professors who are active as professional engineers, and noted professionals who join us as visiting lecturers. Theoretical training comes through lectures and coursework that support the sequence of practical training.
The Acoustical Studies concentration is designed to prepare students to work as professionals in the fields of acoustical consulting, sound systems design, acoustical product design, and sound systems integration. The program provides a thorough grounding in acoustical fundamentals and design practices to enable graduates to begin careers in these specialized fields.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The Peabody Conservatory’s Breakthrough Curriculum ensures that your education will meet not only the high artistic standards you expect, but also the unique and changing needs of today’s cultural environment.
As a student at Peabody, you will learn:
- Excellence in your craft, positioning you to compete for high-level opportunities as a soloist, orchestra member, chamber musician, ensemble dancer, conductor, composer, choreographer, educator, recording engineer, critic or scholar.
- Performance flexibility, and the ability to apply appropriate stylistic attributes across a wide range of performing contexts, musical styles, and ensemble configurations found in the current diversity of professional models.
- Leadership as a citizen artist, building creative collaborations with diverse stakeholders both within and beyond the performing arts
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Music History View 443 other Masters in Music History in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Admission requires an undergraduate degree in music, physics, engineering, audio technology, or architecture.
- Students should have a strong background in math and science from their undergraduate work or high school, of particular interest are Calculus and Physics.
- Students otherwise qualified may be accepted into the degree program with added requirements that are to be taken concurrent with their first year of study or during the summer at a department chair-approved school of their choice.
- International students must demonstrate competencies in English commensurate with expectations for Peabody’s Master of Music degree program.
International56313 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 56313 USD per year during 12 months.
National56313 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 56313 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Baltimore
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.