The East Asian Studies program from Yale University also provides students with an opportunity to pursue additional disciplinary and language training. Students who enter the two-year track with a strong command of one East Asian language will be encouraged to consider beginning a second (or third) language.
FeaturesIn general, students focus their course work on the study of China, Japan, or transnational East Asia. Some students may prefer to focus their course work on one or two disciplines, in addition to language study and courses focused on East Asia. Others may create a highly interdisciplinary program, taking courses in traditional disciplines such as history, literature, political science, art history, or anthropology, as well as in Yale’s professional schools.Applicants to the East Asian Studies graduate program must indicate on their application whether they are applying to the one-year or the two-year track.
- The program of study for completion of the degree on the one-year track consists of eight term courses that must include two terms of language study at or above Yale’s third-year level (unless the language requirement has already been met through previous study or native fluency), plus six other courses selected from the University’s offerings of advanced language study and seminars related to East Asia at the graduate level.
- For those who meet the language requirement at matriculation, two of the required eight courses may be advanced training in a particular discipline (e.g., economics, history, political theory, statistics, etc.) with no explicit focus on East Asia, but related to the student’s professional goals.
- The course of study must be approved by the Director of Graduate Studies (DGS).
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages Literature View 781 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- $80 application fee or fee waiver
- Recommendations from two teachers and one counselor
- School Report with transcript
- English proficiency test results - recommended for non-native English-speakers
- Mid-Year Report & Final Report
International44500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 44500 USD per year during 12 months.
National44500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 44500 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for New Haven
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.