The curriculum combines training in one or more Southeast Asian languages with study of various aspects of modern and classical Southeast Asian civilizations. The University has a distinguished faculty of scholars who provide instruction in diverse areas of Southeast Asian studies, offering a rich variety of courses on these topics.
Students in the Southeast Asian Studies from University of Washington may specialize in Language, Drama, Ethnomusicology, Literature, or Cinema. Students may also concentrate in any field of social scientific application including Anthropology, History, Geography, Political Science, or Sociology. Students must take courses from at least two different departments during their course of study.
The University’s Southeast Asia program offers special strengths in ethnomusicology, film, history, anthropology, archaeology, environmental studies and marine affairs, political science, sociology, cultural studies, science and technology studies, postcolonial theory, and women studies. Filipino, Thai, Khmer, Indonesian, and Vietnamese are regularly taught on campus, and Burmese can be studied by special arrangement.
Southeast Asian Studies graduates have gone on to graduate programs in various academic disciplines, as well as careers in government service, journalism, teaching, research, marine affairs, international trade, and international development.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Study of Southeast Asia
- Field Course in Southeast Asian History
- Seminar in Southeast Asian History
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages Linguistics View 819 other Masters in Languages in United States
- Hold the minimum equivalent of a four-year baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S.1 or its equivalent from a foreign institution2 or a Bologna bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 180 European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) credits.
- All students confirming enrollment must provide an official (sealed) transcript and degree statement (with date of award & title of degree awarded) for verification to Graduate Enrollment Management Services (GEMS).
- Have earned at least a 3.0 grade-point-average (on a 4 point scale) from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S.1 or its equivalent from a foreign institution
International35064 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35064 USD per year during 24 months.
National35064 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35064 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State20175 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20175 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Seattle
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.