The French Studies from University of Washington is designed to enhance interdisciplinary methods of teaching and research and to channel graduate studies into innovative areas of concentration. Our program provides graduate students with an excellent graduate education, while helping them to proceed to examinations promptly and to complete doctoral dissertations well within normative time. While literature is a common denominator for all the faculty in French Studies, each member of our faculty is committed to an approach that links literature to some other discipline; history, philosophy, religion, film studies, the history of ideas or psychoanalysis.
Many of the faculty in French and Italian Studies hold regular or adjunct appointments in other departments and programs in the College of Arts and Sciences. In addition, a committed group of adjunct faculty from neighboring programs and departments (e.g., Comparative Literature, History, Art History, and Political Science) actively collaborates with faculty and staff. Our curriculum therefore boasts a considerable range and expertise to the fabric of courses, as do the examinations and thesis committees in our graduate program. We also remain committed to relating our scholarly activities to the mentoring of graduate students in their pursuit of academic careers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Elementary French
- Intermediate French
- French Masterworks: Modern In English: Les Misérables
- Texts And Traditions
- French And Francophone Cultural And Literary History Through Digital Archives And Tools
- Supervised Study
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Languages View 893 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- Hold the minimum equivalent of a four-year baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S.1 or its equivalent from a foreign institution2 or a Bologna bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 180 European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) credits.
- All students confirming enrollment must provide an official (sealed) transcript and degree statement (with date of award & title of degree awarded) for verification to Graduate Enrollment Management Services (GEMS).
- Have earned at least a 3.0 grade-point-average (on a 4 point scale) from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S.1 or its equivalent from a foreign institution
International18978 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9489 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
National10588 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5294 USD per semester and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.