The Structural Engineering and Mechanics Master’s Program from University of Washington offers graduate students a wide range of courses in structural design, multi-hazard structural response, classical theory and advanced structural analysis techniques. The 11 structures faculty members have expertise in each of these areas, with ongoing research related to many of these topics and collaboration with the local professional community. In addition to the nearly 20 graduate courses taught by structures faculty, approximately 50 additional courses in various engineering disciplines, applied mathematics, architecture, and construction management are approved for the program, allowing students to tailor the degree to meet their professional goals.
Many employers of structural engineers believe it is essential that new hires have graduate degrees, with a master’s degree now being considered the requirement for many of the more exciting and challenging jobs in the field. Recent graduates from our program are highly competitive in the job market across the country, but especially locally, where the Seattle job economy has provided excellent employment opportunities.
In addition to the coursework described below, a companion seminar series provides students with an opportunity to foster relationships within the local engineering community, develop presentation skills that area employers have stressed as a critical need, and learn about unique topics in the field. Graduates are well-prepared for careers in structural analysis and design, multi-disciplinary engineering, government research and more.
- Structural Mechanics
- Structural Dynamics
- Finite Element Meth in Structural Mech
- Engineering Computing
- Nonlinear Analysis of Structural Sys
- Structural Stability
- Materials Modeling
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCivil Engineering & Construction Mechanical Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 443 other Masters in Civil Engineering & Construction in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Washington and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Hold the minimum equivalent of a four-year baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S.1 or its equivalent from a foreign institution2 or a Bologna bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 180 European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) credits.
- All students confirming enrollment must provide an official (sealed) transcript and degree statement (with date of award & title of degree awarded) for verification to Graduate Enrollment Management Services (GEMS).
- Have earned at least a 3.0 grade-point-average (on a 4 point scale) from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S.1 or its equivalent from a foreign institution
International35064 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35064 USD per year during 24 months.
National35064 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 35064 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State20175 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20175 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Seattle
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.