The Modern Literature and Culture course at King's College London is an opportunity to explore a wide and eclectic range of topics and texts from the early-19th to mid-20th century, and to think across the period boundaries that restrict other courses. The course provides high-level teaching and research training in a wide range of aspects of modern literature and culture.
Our optional modules cover almost every aspect of modern literature and culture: from the Victorian novel and Modernist poetics to early science fiction and postcolonial life writing. King’s has one of the oldest English departments in the country, and our unrivalled central London location allows you to explore the city's rich literary history first hand.
- Unrivalled location in the centre of London, with easy access to the British Library and the major libraries and archives of the capital.
- Flexible course with a wide range of options allows students the opportunity to specialise in areas of their choice.
- A dynamic, research-led department with an international reputation for excellence.
- King’s English Department is a research environment which values independent thought. While reading widely, students also receive training in research and writing skills in preparation for the completion of a large-scale dissertation project.
Many of our graduates go on to pursue further research. Others transfer the skills and knowledge they develop with us to careers in teaching, journalism, cultural arts and management, or the legal and financial sectors
- Modernist Soundscapes
- London: Great Fire to Great Exhibition
- Pagans & Christians in Nineteenth-Century Britain
- Conflict: Twentieth-Century War Literature
- Victorian Sensation
- Biographical Writing
- Contemporary South Asian Women Writing
- Narrative Medicine
- African American Literature & the Problem of Music: Criticism, Aesthetics & Culture
- Modernist Mindscapes
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Literature View 622 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at King's College London and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Bachelor's degree with 2:1 honours in English, or a subject in which English plays a significant part; other disciplines may be considered.
- A personal statement of up to 4,000 characters (maximum 2 pages) is required.
- A copy (or copies) of your official academic transcript(s), showing the subjects studied and marks obtained.
- Two references are required with at least one academic. Professional references will be accepted if you have completed your qualifications over five years ago.
- You are required to provide a 2,000 to 4,000 word essay, preferably on a topic related to the programme.
- Applicants may wish to include a CV (Resume) or evidence of professional registration as part of their application.
International24660 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24660 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11040 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11040 GBP per year during 12 months.
- National: £5,520 per year
- International: £12,330 per year
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.