Through the lens of a liberal arts curriculum, the MFA will educate the whole dance artist, concentrating on four areas of focus: Theoretical, Somatics, Creative Practice and Production. The nature of the program is student-centered, building on peer collaboration, faculty mentoring, and student-driven projects.
The values of the Dance program from Saint Mary's College of California, are shaped around the quest for truth, the authenticity of living, and the building of a community where sensitivity, social justice, and global awareness are at the core.
- To develop artists who are critically aware of the reciprocity of theory and practice, thereby promoting standards of excellence in dance practice and preparing for them for employment.
- To enable artists to explore and reflect upon dance practice in its many forms, taking into account the social, cultural, aesthetic and political contexts in which performance practice is located.
- To address complex issues creatively and systematically as well as develop the ability to problem-solve in a variety of artistic contexts through the engagement in practice-based research, including collaborative projects.
- To develop one's potential for a range of practices in or associated with dance and research-based activity.
- To enhance one's production experience and create dance artists who are capable of managing a business.
- Design Methodologies for Dance
- Special Study in Design: Student Elects a Specific Area of Design
- Lighting Design
- Costume Design
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Theatre & Dance View 817 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Supplemental Materials (see specific requirements below)
- Your Personal Statement should be two (2) double-spaced typewritten pages. Describe your background and current interests as a dancer and/or choreographer or a designer and/or technicican/manager, as well as your ability and commitment to undertake graduate education at this time.
- Two letters of recommendation from people who are familiar with you and your work and your ability to undertake graduate school at this time.
- One copy of official transcripts from the degree-granting colleges you have previously attended, with proof of a Bachelor’s degree. (Please note on your application if the name on your transcript is different from your current name.)
- A $50 application fee must accompany the online application. Pay by credit card via the online application. (Please contact the Program Coordinator to receive an application fee waiver.)
International27150 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 905 USD per credit during 24 months.
National27150 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 905 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Moraga
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.