The Architecture program of Academy of Art University prepares the student through the process of critical thinking, designing, and making to provide meaningful contributions to architectural design. We work to develop each student’s individual interest through critical thought, rigorous exploration, and personal vision.
The MA-ARH Track 1 program is designed for students who have graduated from Bachelor’s program in Architecture, Environmental Design, Interior Design, Landscape Architecture, or Urban Design and Engineering.
The Master of Arts degree program is regionally accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC).
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
- Demonstrate development of design exploration and understanding throughout the program
- Visually communicate ideas through multiple representation methods
- Visually communicate ideas through architectural drawings: site plan, plan, section, elevation, and 3D representation
- Produce accurate physical models of design ideas
- Effectively summarize the project and process in a well-crafted proposal and thesis book
- Professionally present the thesis proposal and final project
Building Systems, Materials and Methods
- Demonstrate understanding of material systems and construction methods necessary for the thesis project
- Demonstrate understanding of the general structure of the project
Thesis Proposal Development
- Demonstrate development of a clear area of focus for the duration of the program
- Clearly define the mission of the thesis project
- Present research in relation to the project
- Demonstrate the relevance of the thesis project to the field of architecture.
Our students enter the profession well prepared, as we educate them to become critical thinkers and visionary designers with skills and experiences to carry them into their architecture career. We provide them with the knowledge and abilities necessary to investigate their ideas and transform their architectural visions into built reality. We strongly believe in our students’ potential to shape the future of the our environment as critical leaders in their field.
City and Urban Planner
Master planning environmental design decisions at the scale of a neighborhood, district, city, or region, architects can be part of an urban or design team improving urban environments.
As construction managers, architects contribute their knowledge of building design and coordinate the design delivery of a project from conception to final closeout.
Graduates from an architectural school are qualified outside of architectural practice, to consult across disciplines; from building envelope design, historical preservation, industrial design, furniture design, color, branding, business and product consulting, among many other possibilities.
Collaborating on large or complex architectural projects, project designers are crucial member of a design team.
Operating as a sole practitioner, firm principals run small to mid-sized offices sometimes in partnership with other principals. Firm principals are responsible for signing and stamping construction documentation sets, and must be licensed in the state in which a project is being built.
Sustainable Design Consultant
Specializing in sustainability-driven design projects, sustainability consultants may be architects or other design professionals.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Intermediate Design Studio
- Digitally Generated Morphology
- Architectural Theory
- Architectural Tectonics
- Advanced Design Studio 1 - Concept, Context, & Typology
- Digitally Generated Fabrication
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesArchitecture View 311 other Masters in Architecture in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- College transcripts must show the classes/subjects, grades, credits and number of hours completed for each class
- Applicants and sponsors must complete the Affidavit of Support Form
- An art portfolio in your chosen discipline is required with detailed descriptions for all international graduate school applicants
- An official bank letter (from student. family/parents/sponsor) must show a minimum balance of $42,000 USD or equivalent
- We do not require TOEFL or IELTS scores and do not have a minimum score requirement
- Photocopy of your valid passport
- Photocopy of your 1-20, 1-94, or other visa document
- If your transcripts are not in English. they must be translated and notarized
International1191 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1191 USD per credit and a duration of 18 months.
National1137 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1137 USD per credit and a duration of 18 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.