Drawing on your life experiences, coupled with the artistic and technical skills you gain, in the Advertising program of Academy of Art University you’ll be prepared for a career as an art director, copywriter, or creative strategist. A mastery of advanced advertising principles and concepts are brought to life by working independently and collaboratively on your unique portfolio.
Program Learning Outcomes
Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
- Develop strategic elements focused on the target customer, the product/service, and the market
- Gather, assess, and apply relevant information, including historical research, to strategic work
- Use appropriate visual media, including freehand drawing, to convey essential elements
- Apply appropriate design principles to strategic and creative work
- Convey creative ideas, concepts, and brand tone through engaging and sophisticated language at each stage of the creative process
- Communicate verbally and in writing with a unique and versatile voice
- Communicate relevant objectives through the use of appealing aesthetic choices
- Think conceptually and execute projects beyond traditional advertising media
- Consider diverse points of view, and reach well-reasoned conclusions as part of the conceptual and design process
- Present a sophisticated and original portfolio to acquire a job within the industry.
- Articulate career goals and plan to achieve them
- Communicate strategic conceptual and artistic goals at a professional level
- Submit work according to professional presentation standards
- Collaborate with other members of a creative team
Specialty Skills: Creative Strategy
- Analyze social and cultural trends to identify patterns and potential implications
- Evaluate a brand’s position from multiple perspectives.
Successful advertising careers require problem-solvers, which is why our hands-on degree programs provide aspiring advertising professionals a comprehensive problem-solving toolbox of marketable skills and training.
You’ll find our graduates enjoying roles as art directors, copywriters, creative strategists, content creators and others at leading companies. Who’s hiring our alumni? Companies like razorfish, Leo Burnett, Y&R, Ogilvy, AKQA, CP+B and more.
Art directors are responsible for communicating a clear, unique, and interesting idea about a product or a brand. With copywriters, they drive the advertising industry.
Create, edit, and curate compelling work to supplement ads. You'll work with blogs, streaming videos, magazine articles, books, songs, and movies.
Copywriters craft messages and develop stories for all media so a product or brand can have an intriguing voice. Together with art directors, they form the creative teams that drive the advertising industry.
You'll manage information flow, conduct research, and inform and inspire the creative teams. You'll also help devise business strategies and guide clients to success.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Digital Graphics
- Perspectives in Advertising
- Visual Storytelling: Editing for Short-Form Video Content
- Art Direction
- Copywriting Techniques
- Brand Strategy
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesMedia Studies & Mass Media View 267 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- College transcripts must show the classes/subjects, grades, credits and number of hours completed for each class
- Applicants and sponsors must complete the Affidavit of Support Form
- An art portfolio in your chosen discipline is required with detailed descriptions for all international graduate school applicants
- An official bank letter (from student. family/parents/sponsor) must show a minimum balance of $42,000 USD or equivalent
- We do not require TOEFL or IELTS scores and do not have a minimum score requirement
- Photocopy of your valid passport
- Photocopy of your 1-20, 1-94, or other visa document
- If your transcripts are not in English. they must be translated and notarized
International35730 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1191 USD per credit during 36 months.
National34110 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1137 USD per credit during 36 months.
Living costs for San Francisco
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.