The Museum Education course at the University of Glasgow uses a virtual, interactive learning environment incorporating film, blogs, podcasts, forums and feeds. Engaging in a stimulating online community, you will participate in analysis, critique and discussion of current research, practices, provision and policies.
Our MSc gives you the unique opportunity to access experts, academics, peers and museum collections located across the globe, so you can compare practices, pedagogies and policies to expand your existing knowledge of museum education.
You will gain valuable hands-on experience during a placement in a setting relevant to your interests and expertise. Our extensive network of museum experts will help you to choose the perfect place for you to put your theoretical ideas and learning into practice.
Along with the vast and varied expertise of academic staff at the University of Glasgow, the programme also draws on the expertise of Scottish and international museum-based specialists. The School of Education has strong links with The Hunterian Museum, National Museums Scotland and Glasgow Museums to enhance the visual and experiential elements of learning in and through museums.
In addition, the programme uses links with cultural and educational institutions in North America and Europe to expand online learning opportunities on a global basis.
This is the only distance learning programme of its kind in the UK. You will benefit from high-quality, fully supported online learning on a flexible part-time basis that will fit in with your existing work and family commitments.
- Evaluate how museum education relates to local and global issues of education and schooling
- Reflect on the role of object handling and experiential learning to deepen your understanding of learning in and through the museum
- Reflect on the past, present and future role of museums to represent social and cultural diversity
- Investigate ways in which museums can support principles of access and inclusion to meet the needs of learners
- Successfully communicate a critical understanding of how museums provide an effective learning space for varied contexts and purposes
- Critically evaluate and utilise the ways in which space and artefacts can be managed to maximise learning
- Effectively employ creative and innovative pedagogies and approaches to provide opportunities that enrich learning experiences
- Synthesise and apply specialised knowledge and skills in relation to handling and utilising objects to enhance and develop teaching and learning in a variety of settings
- Skilfully utilise technology in a variety of forms to access research data and practices in order to extend own knowledge, understanding and skills
Whether you already work in the field of education, museums and cultural heritage, or have an interest in museum education, this programme will equip you with the required knowledge and skills to pursue a career in museum education, as well as associated contexts.
The programme aims to extend and strengthen confidence in your knowledge and skills in terms of learning in and through the museum.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Modern Educational Thinking
- Museums, Education and Curriculum Development
- The Museum as a Source for Learning
- Theory into Practice (Placement Online)
- Education Dissertation
- Research Application
- Access and Inclusion
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEducation Museum Studies View 5 other Masters in Museum Studies in United Kingdom
- 2:1 Honours degree or equivalent qualification in any subject
International11000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11000 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA11000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11000 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.