Want to become a part of one of the oldest LLM programs around, offering 95% employability, a 1,300+ strong alumni network from 108 nationalities, and situated at the heart of Europe? Then the LLM in International and European Law (60 ECTS), an English-language programme at the VUB’s Brussels School of Governance may well be what you’re looking for.
This LLM is a postgraduate programme renowned since 1971 for its outstanding quality, international character, and a carefully developed curriculum that combines international and European law, on the one hand, and academic excellence and the latest practical insights, on the other. It excels in preparing students for international legal career paths for a sustainable global society.
- Central location in Brussels, the heart of the EU: excellent research, networking and job possibilities
- Demanding, exclusively advanced master (i.e. post-graduate) level curriculum;
- Experience: offering excellence since 1971
- Perfect for the global job market: the curriculum covers the essential areas of international and European law in parallel
- Taught at the IES which, as a Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence, constitutes a hub of cutting edge research and activities on the EU in an international context and is currently presided by former trade Commissioner Karel De Gucht
- The Chairs are nominated exclusively for this programme and are an international mixture of high-ranking practitioners and leading academics
- Limited class size ensures high interaction and close contacts among students and with the professors, helping create true bonds that last
- Brings together students of truly versatile international backgrounds and of outstanding quality
- Supported by the extensive expertise of our Office for Teaching, Learning and Innovation to accommodate sophisticated blended teaching methods
The Brussels School of Governance is an alliance between the Institute for European Studies (Vrije Universiteit Brussel) and Vesalius College. This LLM in International and European Law programme that is organised by the Institute for European Studies, a Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence, and of which the degree will be awarded by the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
The LLM in International and European law is an Advanced Master's degree obtained in one academic year (from end September until early July). The program offers a balanced, versatile package that consists of compulsory and optional courses as well as a Master thesis:
- Compulsory courses: these 8 courses give a broad overview of the main topics of international and European law.
- Optional courses on either Business Law, Public law, or Data Law. Since 2020, there is also the opportunity to take a special and exclusive Moot Court course.
- Master Thesis.
Chairs are nominated exclusively for this Programme and are an international mixture of high-ranking practitioners and leading academics.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Regular optional meetings
- Continuous support with feedback on request
- Online group works/assignments
DisciplinesEuropean Law International Law Master of Laws (LLM) View 6 other Masters in International Law in Belgium
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Students are eligible to apply when they have completed their study of law and have received, in accordance with the requirements in their host country, a final law degree that provides access to the legal profession or to the qualifying exams for admission to the Bar. The equivalence of foreign degrees will be decided by the Academic Board of the Programme.
- Students are selected by the Academic Board of the Programme on the basis of an overall assessment of their profiles, including their academic qualifications, work and other relevant experience, motivation as well as the required level of proficiency in English.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International13000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13000 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA13000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13000 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Brussels
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
The Programme offers a number of scholarships that take the form of comprehensive or partial tuition fee waivers. The waivers aim at ensuring that applicants with different backgrounds and financial means are able to access the Programme. As such, they are an important element in the Programme’s diversity from viewpoints such as gender, culture and geography. A waiver can be applied for by writing a personal statement in the relevant section of the application form. The waiver application is assessed on the basis of the statement and supporting evidence on the merit and financial need.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.