The world population is ageing. International organizations, such as the World Health Organization, consider the ageing population as one of the major topics that need immediate and thorough attention. The Research Master in Gerontological Sciences offers a specific training trajectory to those excellent students who want to build up an academic career in the field of Gerontology . It also provides an ideal preparation for starting a PhD in the domain of Gerontology.
The Gerontological Sciences course at Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) paves the way for a successful doctorate in Gerontology by providing theoretical, but also methodological knowledge and skills for research into ageing and older people.
Highly educated people can transfer pertinent knowledge about ageing and the older people to different settings/environments from a multidisciplinary perspective.rs, consultants, etc. to function. Besides the universities and scientific institutions, industries are also an increasingly important market for PhD holders. It is considered, therefore, that PhD holders in Gerontology would fit perfectly in R&D departments of large companies.
PhD holders in Gerontology can be engaged in the various universities as a postdoc fellow or a senior academic staff. The university is obviously not the only place where research is conducted. In addition, PhD holders in Gerontology can be engaged in policy functions and doctorate holders are desired in services from the welfare and health care that focus on innovation, quality, development and implementation of clinical pathways and guidelines and / or research.
All degree programmes offered by VUB are accredited by the Dutch-Flemish Accreditation Organisation (NVAO), ensuring that they meet the highest predefined quality standards. Alongside this official quality control system, VUB has an internal Quality Control Commission in charge of permanently monitoring the quality of education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Master Classes Statistics (Quantitative & Qualitative)
- Writing a Research Application Part
- Organisational and Intercultural Aspects of Ageing
- Biological and Biomedical Fundaments of Ageing
- Psychological Fundaments of Ageing
- Social Fundaments of Ageing
- Ethics Related to Ageing
- Systematic Literature Review Part
- Clinimetrics and Comprehensive Gerontological Assessment
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
The Research Master of Gerontological Sciences is aimed at students with an academic Bachelor or Master degree:
- Bachelor of Political Sciences and Sociology specialization Sociology Minor Management, Care and Policy in Gerontology (VUB);
- Bachelor in a field relevant to Gerontology (Social Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Psychology, Physical Education and Kinesiology, Rehabilitation Sciences and Physiotherapy, …);
- Preparatory Programme in Management, Care and Policy in Gerontology (VUB)
Candidate students from outside the EEA may require evidence of adequate knowledge of English through one of the following criteria:
- Holder of a diploma of primary, secondary or higher education where English was the language of instruction;
- Successfully completed at least 1 school year of secondary education where English was the language of instruction;
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International3254 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3254 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA980 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 980 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Brussels
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.