This master's programme offers a broad range of scientific knowledge and combines a multidisciplinary engineering training with in-depth specialisation (you can choose between four options). As a student, you'll be in close contact with highly qualified academic staff and specialists from industry and research institutes, all within a highly international context in Brussels, the capital of Europe. Start your career in engineering practice or research, and prepare yourself for a challenging and exciting future.
- Aeronautics: Study the versatile aspects of state-of-the-art technology in aeronautics and spin-off possibilities in other industries and gain insight into all aspects of the design, construction, exploitation and maintenance of spacecraft and aircraft.
- Energy: Investigate the current and future issues associated with sustainable energy supplies and explore all aspects of energy: from primary sources to the smart energy carriers used in industry, transportation, and domestic applications. By the end of this program, you'll have a profound understanding of the main challenges in the energy supply and renewable energy sources and the important links between energy policies and energy savings.
- Robotics and mechanical construction: Discover and put into practice all the aspects of the conception, design, manufacturing, and control of mechanical and electromechanical devices. The two main pillars of this major are:
- Mechanical design and manufacturing
- Robotics, automation, and control
- In this major, you'll get all the necessary tools for developing integrated electromechanical systems and stand-alone machines (sensors, actuators, controllers and mechanical systems). In addition, you'll become familiar with methods for designing and constructing machines and structures, as well as with modern design and manufacturing techniques, including micro-manufacturing and micro-systems.
- Sustainable transport and automotive engineering: Transportation systems, whether they’re designed for humans or goods, require specialised engineers for their design, control and maintenance. In this major, we'll take a deep dive into all aspects of land-based means of transportation: structure, materials, sources of energy, propulsion, electronics, and lighting. In addition, you'll explore rail infrastructure and logistics, with a focus on sustainable mobility.
Thanks to the large number of projects - 50% of the training is project based - students acquire the appropriate skills, knowledge and work culture for their future careers.
All degree programmes offered by VUB are accredited by the Dutch-Flemish Accreditation Organisation (NVAO), ensuring that they meet the highest predefined quality standards. Alongside this official quality control system, VUB has an internal Quality Control Commission in charge of permanently monitoring the quality of education.
- Control System Design
- Design Methodology
- Data-Driven Engineering
- Electrical Drives
- Structural Analysis and Finite Elements
- Vibrations and Acoustics
- Composite Structures
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesAerospace Engineering Mechanical Engineering Mechatronics View 16 other Masters in Mechanical Engineering in Belgium
If you hold a Bachelor of Engineering from a Flemish university, you have direct access to the programme.
If you hold a degree from an institution outside of Flanders, you'll need to file an application. If you have another engineering degree, the curriculum council will need to approve your application.
- I have or will soon have a bachelor's degree in engineering sciences of at least three years, or consisting of at least 180 ECTS credits or equivalent (such as 130 US credits or semester contact hours).
- I have an overall above average grade, which in US grading means level B or a GPA of minimum 3 out of 4.
- I have obtained a minimum of 20 ECTS credits or equivalent in mathematics courses, and 15 ECTS or equivalent in other fundamental science courses such as chemistry, physics and mechanics.
- I have obtained above-average scores on the mathematics courses, which means a score of minimum 3.2 out of 4, 15 out of 20 or equivalent B+ level.
International2782 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2782 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA835 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 835 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Brussels
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.