Are you interested in one of our English-taught programmes and want to know more about studying in Brussels at VUB? VUB organises online info sessions per programme. On different moments so that it hopefully fits your agenda.
Imaging techniques that can track tumour growth and be used for radiation therapy. Electrocardiography systems that can track heart function and defibrillators that can intervene when the heart fails. All biomedical engineered solutions to common health problems.
But it doesn't stop there. Medical knowledge changes and technologies need to adapt. With an ever growing amount of people, biomedical technologies need to become even more efficient. Taking into consideration ethical and economical aspects at the same time. How will the hospital of the future look like? Which place will technology take in hte future of health care? How can biomedical engineering help in prevention of illnesses? As a biomedical engineer you step into a world that is rapidly evolving.
The Biomedical Engineering programme is delivered by Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB).
The biomedical engineer is versatile, multi-disciplinary, and thus employable in a variety of positions:
- PhD-student at a university or at a large industry R&D-department.
- Product manager or project leader in an (R&D-) industry.
- Medical physics engineer in a hospital.
- Government/public health.
- Consultancy in a wide range of functions, from product design to safety regulations.
All degree programmes offered by VUB are accredited by the Dutch-Flemish Accreditation Organisation (NVAO), ensuring that they meet the highest predefined quality standards. Alongside this official quality control system, VUB has an internal Quality Control Commission in charge of permanently monitoring the quality of education.
- Measurement Techniques in Nuclear Science (3 ECT)
- Nuclear Physics (3 ECT)
- Technology of Radiotherapy (3 ECT)
- Medical Dosimetry (3 ECT)
- Radiologic Techniques (3 ECT)
- Radioprotection and Regulations (3 ECT)
- Radiochemistry (3 ECT)
- Radiobiology and Radiopathology (3 ECT)
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Biology Health Administration View 12 other Masters in Bio & Biomedical Engineering in Belgium
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Students with an academic Bachelor (or Master) degree in engineering (university level) can enter the programme without any prerequisites, except for students with a Bachelor or Master degree in Architectural Engineering. This is also the case for students with a Master degree in bio-engineering.
- Students with a Master degree in Industrial Sciences may enter the master programme via a dedicated bridging programme of 120 ECTS credits. All other students must follow an admission programme, accounting for approximately 15/18 to maximally 90 ECTS credits depending on their diploma.
International2500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2500 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA980 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 980 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Brussels
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.