At Mills, you can shape your master of fine arts (MFA) in creative writing in a variety of ways to create a one-of-a-kind educational experience that fits your artistic, career, and educational goals. You can choose to focus on poetry or prose (fiction or creative nonfiction) or add a specialization in creative writing in Spanish:
- The MFA with an emphasis in poetry is designed to develop your growth as a writer and reader of poetry, enhance your awareness of the contemporary poetic field, and highlight opportunities in publishing, teaching, and community work. View the degree requirements for the MFA with an emphasis on poetry.
- The MFA with an emphasis in prose (fiction or creative nonfiction) is designed to develop your growth as a writer and reader of fiction and creative nonfiction, enhance your awareness of the contemporary literary field, and highlight opportunities in publishing, teaching, and community work. View the degree requirements for the MFA with an emphasis on prose.
- A graduate certificate in creative writing in Spanish is an option for creative writing MFA students with advanced proficiency in Spanish. The certificate program includes course work in translation, grammar, and composition, as well as writing workshops in Spanish.
More informationVisit official programme website
Whether you choose the poetry or prose emphasis, you’ll have the opportunity to study with our faculty of renowned writers, working in diverse aesthetic traditions in a wide range of classes. You’ll also have the opportunity to work with our exemplary literature professors in courses that focus on the history and criticism of literature and literary theory. During your final year of study, you’ll work closely and collaboratively with faculty as you develop and complete your creative writing thesis. Your professors will encourage you to write a thesis that is risky, investigative, and confident, pushes your development as a writer, and speaks to your own passions, experiences, and ideas. Our alumnae regularly go on to publish work produced as part of their thesis at Mills.
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing Literature View 359 other Masters in Literature in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- It's easy to start your admission application process. Just complete the Mills application online and submit the $50 application fee.
- All Mills graduate programs require a statement of purpose or artist's statement as part of the admission application.
- We ask that you send us official transcripts (with grades) from the college or university from which you earned your bachelor's degree.
- For the majority of Mills graduate programs, you'll need to ask two academic instructors to complete and submit letters of recommendation on your behalf.
- We ask non-native English speakers to submit scores from one of English proficiency exams.
International1040 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1040 USD per credit and a duration of .
National1040 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1040 USD per credit and a duration of .
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.