During the Studio Art program at Mills College, students are encouraged to work across media boundaries. The two-year graduate program is selective (limited to 12 new students each year), and is designed to meet the demanding standards of the profession.
The graduate program in studio art provides a combination of structure and freedom. Students receive individual attention that encourages personal and professional development. Each graduate student has a graduate committee consisting of three faculty members who are responsible for critiquing the student's independent work and progress.
At the end of the first year of study, the work of each student is reviewed by all faculty members of the Art Department and, if passed successfully, the student is advanced to candidacy status in the second year. At the end of the second year, the program culminates in an MFA thesis exhibition held in the Mills College Art Museum, supplemented with a written thesis.
- Visiting Artist Lecture Series—Meet influential and innovative artists, art critics, and curators who come to speak on campus. Past speakers have included installation artist/photographer Sophie Calle, Hirshhorn Museum Director Melissa Chiu, and renowned art critic Lucy Lippard.
- Art + Process + Ideas—Each year, a select group of Bay Area artists participates in this artist-in-residence program, engaging with MFA students through lunchtime presentations, open studio opportunities, and visits to student studios.
- Music and Dance Concerts—Enjoy cutting-edge work in music and dance by visiting composers and choreographers, our celebrated music and dance faculty, and our graduate students.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Topics in Contemporary Art
- Contemporary Art and Critical Thinking
- Photographic Structures
- Advanced Painting
- Advanced Drawing
- Advanced Electronic Arts
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesVisual Arts View 519 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All Mills graduate programs require a statement of purpose or artist's statement as part of the admission application.
- We ask that you send us official transcripts (with grades) from the college or university from which you earned your bachelor's degree.
- For the majority of Mills graduate programs, you'll need to ask two academic instructors to complete and submit letters of recommendation on your behalf.
International34833 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 34833 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National34833 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 34833 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State34833 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 34833 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.