Our small class sizes provide an intimate setting in which you will establish trust and rapport with your classmates and receive one-on-one advising and feedback from your professors.
While many people enter the program with a particular focus, the Wring program at Hamline University encourages students to experiment across genres. Therefore, you will cultivate breadth and depth in the genre of your choice, while also developing your knowledge and craft across genres.
Our faculty are accomplished writers who are also generous, highly effective teachers. They will guide you through your graduate work to ensure that you accomplish your academic and artistic goals.
At Hamline University, students can:
- Develop breadth and depth in fiction, poetry, or creative nonfiction;
- Experiment across genres;
- Do the MFA full or part time;
- Serve as members of the editorial board of Hamline’s national, award-winning magazine, Water~Stone Review;
- Serve on the editorial board of the student-run magazine: rock, paper, scissors;
- Earn credit through an internship at one of the Twin Cities highly regarded literary presses or trade publishers;
- Work with nationally known writers at the annual Summer Writer’s Workshop and in a Master Class with visiting authors;
- Study the theory and pedagogy of teaching composition and earn jobs at Hamline and elsewhere as writing tutors and instructors of freshman English;
- Meet when needed with an advisor who will support and guide them in accomplishing their academic and artistic goals;
- Join Hamline’s student group—West Egg Literati
- Choose to do part of their program in the Low-Residency MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults program.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Groundings in the Craft: Elements of Fiction, Poetry, or Creative Nonfiction
- Advanced Fiction, Poetry, or Creative Nonfiction
- Composition Theory and Pedagogy
- The Creative Process
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing View 343 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Online application (no fee for U.S. residents)
- Questionnaire (submitted as part of the online application). Our faculty reviewers will be looking for well-written, thoughtful responses that let them know more about the kind of writer you are and student you will be.
- Three- to four-page critical essay, double-spaced, focusing on an element of craft or a particular subject in a book you admire as a writer
- Creative writing sample
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate work.
- Two letters of recommendation
- Additional materials you wish the admission committee to consider, such as letters of recommendation or previously published work.
International14328 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 597 USD per credit during 24 months.
National14328 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 597 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Saint Paul
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.