The Exercise Physiology course from Loughborough University offers study at a high level across areas including the physiology of endurance sport, sport and exercise nutrition, exercise and immunology, vocational skills in exercise physiology, neuromuscular function, quantitative research, current research in exercise physiology, laboratory techniques in sport and exercise physiology and a research project.
All students undertake a research project as part of their studies. Project areas include muscle physiology, cardiovascular physiology, biochemistry, metabolism, risk factors for chronic diseases, exercise and appetite, exercise immunology, physiological response to exercise in children and disability sport.
Previous students have gone on to work in many high profile sports settings including the English Institute of Sport, Premier League football clubs, English and Wales Cricket Board, England Rugby, British Swimming, British Triathlon, British Cycling, British Athletics, UK Sport and Paralympic sports. A significant proportion of our graduates have also gone on to work in the health sector, as exercise physiologists working within the NHS, Spire and Nuffield Health. Many students also go on to further study.
Recent graduate destinations include:
- Australian Institute of Sport – Australia, Occupational Trainee Physiologist
- BUPA, Health Adviser
- Badminton England, Badminton Development Officer
- Burton Albion Football Club, Head of Sports Science
- Chasetown Football Club, Strength and Conditioning Coach
- Coventry City Football Club, Football Fitness Coach
- English Institute of Sport, Sport Science Technician
- Institute of Youth Sport, Research Assistant
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Physiology of Endurance Performance
- Current Research in Exercise Physiology
- Laboratory Techniques in Exercise Physiology
- Quantitative Research Methods
- Research Project
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Any applications or results submitted after this date will only be considered if there are still places on the programme or time to obtain a student visa.
DisciplinesPhysiotherapy Sports Sciences Biochemistry View 302 other Masters in Sports Sciences in United Kingdom
- An honours degree (good 2:1 or above) or equivalent overseas qualification in sports science or other relevant biological science that contains a substantial element of exercise physiology; such as applied human physiology or physiotherapy.
International23500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 23500 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA10950 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 10950 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
British Marshall Scholarships
- Awards are open to US citizens who are graduates of US universities, to undertake study in any subject leading to a degree at a UK university.
Dean’s Award for Enterprise Scholarship
- The Dean's Award for Enterprise offers 90% off the full cost of tuition fees, for UK, EU and international students with an inspiring business idea.
Loughborough Sports Scholarship
- To support the sporting and academic development of talented student athletes. The level of support varies by sport and performance level.
Academic Excellence Scholarship
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.