What Will I Learn?
Our Special Education program at the State University of New York Plattsburgh allows you to:
- Focus on multiple ways to teach children identified with special needs
- Develop abilities to work with other child-oriented professionals in a variety of settings (e.g., classroom, inclusion, and resource room)
- Explore innovative approaches to interdisciplinary teaching across content areas
- Plan, implement, and reflect on instruction that meets the diverse needs of students
- Develop knowledge and skills to assess and respond to student learning
- Create engaging and supportive learning communities
- Promote ways to support and learn from families
What is Unique About Our Program?
- Our early childhood and elementary M.S.Ed. programs are geared toward individuals who already hold an undergraduate degree and certificate in education.
- For the grades 7–12 program, a B.S. or B.A in a field other than education is sufficient pending a transcript evaluation.
- These programs satisfy the requirement for a master’s degree as required by NYSED (New York State Education Department) for professional certification
- Flexible: Study full-time or part-time in convenient afternoon, evening, or online courses
- Master core pedagogy while engaging in content-specific work
- Tailored programs and electives allow you to pursue your unique interests and focus on areas of particular need
- Engage in field experience connected to your coursework
- Assessment, Evaluation, and Learning
- Prosocial Skills, Positive Behavior Supports B-12
- Special Education
- Young Children with Exceptional Learning Needs
- Special Education Capstone
- Specific Learning Disabilities/School and Society
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Special Education View 3196 other Masters in Education in United States
- Graduate admission application
- Statement of purpose
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official GRE or MAT scores*
- A copy of NYS initial teaching certificate (not required for generalist 7–12 program)
- All official transcripts from prior institutions (3.0 or higher cumulative undergraduate GPA on a 4.0 scale)
- $75 application fee
International23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 24 months.
National23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State11310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5655 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Plattsburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.