This course uses English and Chinese as working languages.
This Translation Studies programme from Newcastle University has two stages lasting one year each. You can either:
- join the course at Stage 1 and follow the two-year course
- or join at Stage 2 and follow the one-year course. This depends on your previous qualifications and experience.
If you join at Stage 1, you take compulsory modules that typically include:
- simultaneous interpreting
- consecutive interpreting
- sight translation exercise
- information technology for translators and interpreters
- translation studies
This is followed by another year of specialised study in Stage 2. If you meet the entry requirements, you can start the course at Stage 2.
In Stage 2 you can follow on of four pathways:
- Translating and Interpreting
- Translation Studies (this pathway)
In Stage 2 you take compulsory modules and optional modules. You also complete either a dissertation or a translating/interpreting project.
Depending on different focuses, you take further optional modules that cover:
- a sight translation exercise
- bi-lateral interpreting
- English-Chinese subtitle translation
- literary translation
Assessment is by:
- practical assessments
- class/seminar presentations
- essays or assignments
- other submitted work (including a dissertation or project).
- Simultaneous Interpreting
- Sight Translation Exercise
- Consecutive Interpreting
- Information Technology for Translators and Interpreters
- Translation Studies
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesTranslation & Interpreting Linguistics View 373 other Masters in Linguistics in United Kingdom
- 2:1 honours degree
- a degree with a minimum average of 75% (or GPA 2.75) on your transcript.
Native English speaking applicants to have good degree-level knowledge of Chinese. When applying, please enclose any evidence you may have to support your second language proficiency qualification. We will also consider your application if you have lower or non-standard qualifications and at least two years' full-time experience as a translator or an interpreter.
International19200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19200 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9600 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Newcastle upon Tyne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.