Some examples of fundamental questions that we address: how can we address pressing societal challenges such as congestion, and the associated pressure on urban environmental quality? How can we maintain accessibility of regions and cities, and meet global environmental pressure from transportation? What are the spatial and economic aspects of these challenges? How can we analyze them from an economic perspective, and how can economics help in analyzing, evaluating and formulating policies to address these?
The Spatial, Transport and Environmental Economics - Transport Economics programme from Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam equips students with the state-of-the-art of academic economic insights to analyse and answer such questions and provide them with an evidence-based foundation.
In the courses we take a microeconomic perspective and use applied econometric techniques. Hence, this high-quality one-year programme offers students the theoretical knowledge and applied methodological skills to tackle complex problems at a high level of abstraction, while emphasizing the need to translate theoretical solutions into clear-cut evidence-based policy advice.
- A master's in Spatial, Transport and Environmental Economics offers excellent career prospects. Many graduates find jobs as policy economists at government institutions or consultancy firms such as KPMG and Ernst & Young.
- Also transport organizations such as KLM, Schiphol and Dutch Rail offer great opportunities for work. Others opt for positions as economic researchers at institutes such as CPB (the Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Applied Econometrics for Urban, Transport and Environmental Economics
- Microeconomics for Urban, Transport and Environmental Economics
- Transport Economics
- Empirical Transport Economics
- Regional and Urban Economics
- Airline Business
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
- EU/EEA or Dutch students: 1 June
- Non-EU/EEA students who do not need a study visa and/or a residence permit: 1 June
- Students who need a study visa and/or a residence permit: 1 April.
DisciplinesEconomics Transport Management Environmental Management View 7 other Masters in Transport Management in Netherlands
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We welcome and look for motivated students who are interested in the Economics of Transport. In order to be successful in this programme you will need a solid academic basis in, for instance, economics, but bachelor students with sufficient technical expertise, e.g. (Transport) Engineering are also very welcome.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International16630 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16630 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2168 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.