Our master's in advanced material science and engineering encompasses all aspects of materials: their selection, manufacture, testing, use and applications, as well as environmental impact both during production and at the end of life. You’ll be equipped with a core knowledge of materials science and engineering that can be applied to a range of materials-based careers, giving you flexibility within the job market.
Typical careers span many industrial sectors including aerospace, power generation, automotive, construction, transport, medical equipment and implants and consumer goods. Possible roles include technical and project management, research and development, technical support to manufacturing, as well as sales and marketing.
Many of our Advanced Materials Science and Engineering MSc at Loughborough University students continue their studies with us, joining our thriving community of PhD students engaged in materials projects of real-world significance.
Recent graduate destinations include:
- Beijing Huafu Engineering (China), Commercial Manager
- Commercial Aircraft China, Project Administrator
- Common Technology Research Institute, Materials Engineer
- Exp Global, Project Engineer.
- Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd, Materials Engineer
The programme is accredited by the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IOM3), allowing you to progress towards professional chartered status (CEng) after a period of relevant graduate-level employment.
- Advanced Materials Characterisation
- Research Methods
- Clean Energy, Materials and Sustainability
- Nanomaterials and Composites
- Advanced Joining Methods
- Group Design Project
- Advanced Processing of Materials
- Materials Modelling
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 146 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in United Kingdom
- An 2:2 honours degree (or equivalent international qualification) in a science or engineering subject.
International26500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11900 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Loughborough
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
British Marshall Scholarships
- Awards are open to US citizens who are graduates of US universities, to undertake study in any subject leading to a degree at a UK university.
Dean’s Award for Enterprise Scholarship
- The Dean's Award for Enterprise offers 90% off the full cost of tuition fees, for UK, EU and international students with an inspiring business idea.
Loughborough Sports Scholarship
- To support the sporting and academic development of talented student athletes. The level of support varies by sport and performance level.
Academic Excellence Scholarship
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.