The curriculum of the Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling degree from Gannon University provides a blend of counselor training experiences designed to provide the skills and knowledge necessary to become a professional counselor. Graduates are prepared to pursue National Counselor Certification (NCC) and licensure as a Professional Counselor (LPC).
The curriculum is based on the following eight core counselor competency areas:
- Demonstrate understanding of the ethical, legal and professional spheres of counselor roles, responsibilities, and identity.
- Demonstrate understanding of the complexities of social and cultural contexts for individuals and their implications for relationships.
- Demonstrate understanding of human development across the lifespan and its significance for counseling relationships and strategies.
- Demonstrate understanding of career development and the interrelationships among and between work, mental well-being, relationships, and other life roles and factors.
- Demonstrate counselor characteristics, behaviors, interviewing, and counseling skills that influence the helping relationship.
- Demonstrate understanding of the dynamics, strategies, and conditions associated with group work effectiveness.
- Demonstrate competent use of assessment and diagnosis of mental and emotional disorders and conditions.
- Demonstrate competent use of research methods, needs assessment, and program evaluation skills important to the counseling profession.
- Demonstrate case conceptualization, diagnosis, and treatment planning skills that utilize developmental and multicultural knowledge and an understanding of therapeutic relationships within the context of clinical mental health counseling.
- Demonstrate self-awareness and self-development through engagement in active learning and reflectivity.
- Group Dynamics
- Human Development Over the Life Span
- Professional Counseling
- Counseling Strategies and Techniques
- Research Methodology
- Counseling and Personality Theories
- Appraisal in Counseling
- 33 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesPsychology Clinical Psychology Counselling Psychology View 1300 other Masters in Psychology in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Gannon University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Students must have a bachelor's degree from an approved institution.
- A complete application for admissions includes: a resume, three letters of recommendation from appropriate professionals, an essay, and participation in an admissions interview.
- To be admitted into the program, applicants must have a minimum grade point average of 2.8 in undergraduate coursework.
- Students must also have Pennsylvania Child Abuse History clearance and the Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check (ACT 33 & ACT 34 clearances) dated within a year of application.
International15709 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 720 USD per credit during 33 months.
National15709 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 720 USD per credit during 33 months.
Living costs for Erie
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.