Students complete the daytime program over three semesters on Mercer’s Macon campus. Successful completion of the program and passing scores on the required GaPSC-approved Content Pedagogy Assessment and GACE Content Assessments lead to eligibility for Level 5 certification.
The comprehensive program at Mercer University develops the specialized skills needed to teach and support students in grades 6-12. Course content focuses on foundations of education, adolescent development, and interdisciplinary teaching methods for secondary environments. An initial summer field placement and year-long clinical placement in an area high school prepare teachers to support the diverse needs of students. Expanded secondary education certification fields in biology, chemistry, earth/space science, English, geography, history, mathematics, physics, political science, or trade and industrial education will prepare candidates to support students in grades 6-12 in the field of their choice. View a complete list of secondary education fields here.
Learning outcomesUpon completion of the Secondary Education 5th Year program, students will be able to:
- Understand the social, behavioral, emotional, cognitive and physical characteristics and needs of adolescents
- Understand how students differ in their approach to learning and how to adapt the learning environment to meet diverse needs in the secondary education environment
- Design and implement an integrated, developmentally appropriate curriculum
- Develop and implement a variety of assessment strategies to evaluate students’ learning and academic achievement
- Integrate research-based strategies and instructional technology effectively into all components of the secondary school curriculum
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Foundations of Education
- Fundamentals of Special Education
- Initial Field Experience
- Interdisciplinary Methods for Middle Grades Education & Secondary Education
- Adolescent Development & Learning
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
The 5th year Secondary Education M.A.T. admits students once per year in May at Mercer’s Macon campus.
DisciplinesEducation Teaching View 1167 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- Online Application for Admission to Mercer University
- $25 Application Fee
- Official College transcript(s)
- Georgia Assessment for the Certification of Educators (GACE) for Program Admission test scores
- GACE Georgia Educators Ethics Assessment completion certificate
Additional Requirements for International Applicants
- Evaluation of Foreign Credentials
- Official Translations
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): The TOEFL or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test is required for international applicants whose primary language is not English. The scores must not be more than two years old.
- Financial Guarantee
- Visa Status
International626 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 626 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National626 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 626 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.