Marriage and Family Therapists (MFTs) are mental health professionals trained in psychotherapy, family systems, and relationship issues. They are licensed to treat mental, emotional, and behavioral disorders within the context of individuals, couples, and marriage and family systems. Some of the problems that Marriage and Family Therapist help people with are as follows:
- Communication between family members, intimate partners, friends, coworkers, or others.
- Parental concerns such as learning effective approaches to discipline and how to effectively deal with children and/or adolescent’s psychological, behavioral and emotional difficulties.
- Marital or couple discord
- Sexual difficulties and concerns
- Feelings of depression, anxiety, or loneliness
- Unmanageable anger, hostility, or violence
- Introduction to Counseling and Psychotherapy: Theories and Interventions
- Counseling Laboratory
- Human Behavior: A Developmental Perspective
- Systems, Systemic Thinking, and Ethics
- Basic Principles of Research Design, Statistics, Program Development and Evaluation
- Advanced Counseling Laboratory
- Human Sexuality
- Therapeutic Approaches for Children and Adolescents
- Working with Families
- Contextual Family Therapy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesCounselling View 896 other Masters in Counselling in United States
- Evidence of completion of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a minimum of 9-12 hours in psychology, marriage and family studies or counseling—and a GPA of 3.0. All transcripts of academic institutions attended should be submitted, particularly if credits were transferred.
- The online application for admission.
- Three letters of recommendation. This should include a college professor who can assess the applicant’s academic qualifications and abilities as well as a supervisor who can assess the applicant’s professional qualifications, abilities, and motivation for enrolling in this program.
- Work experience (paid or volunteer) in an area related to marriage and family therapy or the mental health field is considered.
International835 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 835 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National835 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 835 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.