At Furniture Design from Rhode Island School of Design students are exposed to a variety of conceptual approaches to furniture and encouraged to expand their thinking, redefining functional and aesthetic considerations through design, material and making investigations. The curriculum challenges students to question their perception of furniture design, examine the changing role of objects in relation to culture and prompt inquiry into their own design philosophy and contribution to the field. The second year is focused on developing a thesis body of work.
Graduates with Furniture Design from Rhode Island School of Design will be able to:
- effectively use a combination of two- and three-dimensional concept development skills to complete full-size human-scale design prototypes for furniture and related objects
- critique and communicate contextual, conceptual and technical content through visual, written and spoken means
- communicate specific designs in detail to allow for manufacture by others
- relate design concepts and physical prototypes to a defined context and make an individual contribution to the discipline of furniture design
- Furniture Design
- Materials and Processes
- Graduate Furniture Design
- Liberal Arts or elective
- Graduate seminar
- Open elective
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Industrial Design Design View 622 other Masters in Design in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Rhode Island School of Design and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Application form
- Academic transcripts
- Statement of purpose
- Writing sample
- Letters of recommendation
- English language proficiency test
International56435 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 56435 USD per year during 24 months.
National56435 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 56435 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Providence
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.