Upon completion of Afrikaans Studies as a major subject at University of Namibia, the graduate should be able to:
- recognise and apply simple and complex grammatical structures in Afrikaans, while understanding and appreciating Afrikaans as a language consisting of numerous varieties;
- apply his/her knowledge of the grammar of Standard Afrikaans to write complex texts of varying natures;
- read, understand and analyse a variety of Afrikaans literary texts and place them in their historical, cultural and literary context;
- position Afrikaans as a language of European descent, yet an African origin;
- position Afrikaans as a Namibian national language in terms of its history, function and future in Namibia;
- conduct research of a limited scope on a topic in Afrikaans theoretical and/or applied linguistics or literature using appropriate research methodology, and present the product of such research in the appropriate form;
- evaluate and write reviews of language reference works (dictionaries) and a range of literary texts;
- conduct him-/herself with confidence in general and academic discussions in his/her field of study;
- teach Afrikaans at NSSC level after attainment of the required teaching qualification.
- Foundations Of Afrikaans Studies
- Afrikaans Linguistics
- Foundations of Dutch Language and Literature -
- Afrikaans Visual Studies
- Afrikaans in Context
- Afrikaans and Dutch Poetry
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Linguistics View 5 other Masters in Language Studies in Namibia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- minimum grade 3 in Afrikaans First Language NSSC Higher Level or an equivalent qualification;
- (b) minimum C symbol in Afrikaans First Language NSSC Ordinary Level or an equivalent qualification;
- (c) minimum grade 3 in Afrikaans Second Language NSSC Higher Level or an equivalent qualification;
- (d) minimum B symbol in Afrikaans Second Language NSSC Ordinary Level or an equivalent qualification;
- (e) written approval by the Head: Department of Language and Literature Studies.
- Radiological Report
- Deed of Surety Form
- Medical Certificate (original)
- Two (2) Passport size photos
- Admission letter from UNAM
- Proof of Registration from UNAM
- Proof of accommodation in Namibia
- Completed main application form and visa form
- Police Clearance from home country (compulsory)
- Reasons for studying in Namibia (write one paragraph)
- Proof of medical aid/ insurance (valid and active)*.
International1810 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 905 USD per semester during 24 months.
National460 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 230 USD per semester during 24 months.
- Namibian students: 3500 N$ per semester
- Non SADC students: 13800 N$ per semester
Living costs for Windhoek
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.