The Master of Arts in Criminal Justice and Human Security degree program, at the University of Bridgeport, is designed to help you attain expertise in the worldwide political, cultural, and socioeconomic conditions that contribute to crime and its attenuation. Our program will help you gain insight into the cultural, ethnic, religious and ideological differences often discovered at the root of criminal acts, violence, and terror.
Among some of the in-depth topics covered in this program: domestic, international, and comparative criminal law; transnational crime; cybercrime, and cyberterrorism—all taught by experienced faculty from UB’s College of Public and International Affairs.
Human security, as it relates to modern threats such as terrorism, human trafficking, and ethnocentric violence, will also be explored.
This broader understanding of human rights and its connection to history, global policy, international peace and security, and humanitarian affairs provides a strong foundation on which you will be able to draw correlations and build solutions towards a safer world.
Learning Outcomes and Careers
- Demonstrate the skills necessary to excel in professional careers in federal, state, and international law enforcement agencies where intercultural communication skills, foreign language skills, and insights into other cultures are increasingly important both to address criminal activity and to take needed steps to prevent it
- Demonstrate an understanding of and appreciation of the rule of law, law enforcement’s role in the securing and protection of civil and human rights, and an understanding of the social conditions and circumstances that foster or discourage criminal behavior
- Demonstrate an understanding of Human Security and its role in the realization of a just and lawful society and the impact that this understanding of security has upon the existing notions of national, regional and international security
- Demonstrate the intercultural literacy skills needed to relate to an increasingly globalized population where norms and values may differ
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of non-state actors in international crime and justice, in such fields as norm creation, deviance, terrorism, and crime prevention
- Demonstrate an understanding of the interpretations of religion, ideology, and culture that contribute to the proliferation and/or the deterrence of violence and crime
- Criminal Justice Research Methods
- Human Security and Approaches to Justice
- US Law and Criminal Justice
- Law Enforcement Management
- International Conflict and Negotiation
- Theories on Crimes, Norms, and Deviance
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesCriminal Law Legal Studies Criminal Justice View 317 other Masters in Legal Studies in United States
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Bridgeport and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or recognized international institution
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Application and application fee (non-refundable)
- Official transcripts from all schools attended
- Two letters of recommendation commenting on your work ethic, communication skills and ability to complete a graduate degree program.
- Personal statement
International14040 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 780 USD per credit during 24 months.
National14040 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 780 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Bridgeport
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.