The Social Studies programme from Waterford Institute of Technology offers an interdisciplinary approach to the advanced understanding of human beings in contemporary society in relation their social, economic, political and cultural contexts.
The programme builds on the strengths developed over many years in the School of Humanities in the area of social care and social studies.
Graduates with M.A. in Social Studies from Waterford Institute of Technology will be able to:
- engage meaningfully in contemporary debates in the social sciences;
- critically reflect on their own role and the role of others, at both personal and socio-political levels and how these roles contribute to society and community;
- successfully manage social science research;
- encourage a flexibility of mind and a willingness to engage with the world in an interdisciplinary way and from a variety of perspectives;
Graduates could expect their careers to be enhanced, whether they work in policy development, social work, social care, community work or pastoral care, as they will have gained knowledge and understanding of human society at an advanced level. They will have gained skills in social research which would prove useful in organisations whose remit is in the broad area of the social services in both the statutory and non-statutory sectors.
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Social Policy & Justice in a Globalised World
- Gender, Work & Parenting
- Constructing Identities: Transition, Difference & Belonging
- Policy making processes: inclusive practices
- Advanced Social Research
- Philosophy of Social Research
- Critical & Reflective Learning
- Professionalism & Social Change
- Sociology of Religion
- Children in Society
- Contemporary Spirituality
- Faith, Community & Society
- Learning Organisations
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesSociology View 37 other Masters in Sociology in Ireland
- Graduates require a minimum 2.2 undergraduate honours degrees in Social Science or Humanities related areas to apply directly to this Level 9 MA programme.
- Applicants whose first language is not English must submit evidence of competency in English.
International11500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11500 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA6500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 6500 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.