The Global Financial Information Systems (GFIS) programme offered by Waterford Institute of Technology was developed in response to the current and future demand from the Financial Services (FS) industry, for hybrid finance-technology graduates with a specific focus on the application of ICT to Financial Services.
During our programme the first 9 months are spent undertaking modules and examinations on campus, and the final 3 months comprise of a Professional Internship or Research Project. The high quality, standard, and transferability of the skills and knowledge developed on the programme, means that graduates are also in demand from companies in other professional industries.
The students use a wide range of software including SWIFT e-Learning modules; Oracle and SQL; ERwin Data Modeller; SAP BI and Business Warehousing; Advanced use of MS Excel, StockTrak; Thomson One Banker; SPSS; and social media and conferencing applications. Students have the opportunity to learn from, and engage with CEO’s, senior executives, and leading talents from the Financial Services and ICT industries, through an extensive Seminar Series hosted on-campus in WIT. Students also visit the Headquarters of several leading companies for information sessions and discussions.
The goal of the MSc in GFIS is to ensure that graduates have the practical skills, knowledge, and experience required to immediately take-up employment positions in the Financial Services industry. The majority of graduates from the MSc in GFIS are employed in graduate roles such as Business Analyst; Data Analyst; Risk Analyst; FIS Analyst; Investment Banking; Operations Analyst; Business Operations Executive and in policy roles in companies in Ireland and overseas. Graduates of the programme may also apply for Post Graduate Level 10 studies, such as a PhD by Research, either nationally or internationally.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Data Modeling and Analytics
- Business Intelligence
- Seminar Series
- Global Transaction Banking
- Global Financial IS Security
- IS Project Management
- Financial Risk & Regulatory
- Financial Derivatives
- Corporate Financial Interpretation
- Research Methods
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFinance Business Information Systems View 9 other Masters in Business Information Systems in Ireland
- All graduates of Business or Technology undergraduate degree programmes who have achieved an honours grade (2.2) or higher.
- Graduates from other undergraduate degree programmes, including Science, Engineering, Health Sciences, Humanities, etc., who have achieved an honours grade (2.2) or higher, are also eligible to apply. In fact, undergraduates from Archaeology, Mathematics, Construction Studies, Social Studies, Engineering, Science, Business (General, Economics, Management, Accounting, Marketing, Finance, and HR) and Computing and ICT have all successfully completed the MSc in GFIS.
- Applicants whose first language is not English must submit evidence of competency in English.
International11500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11500 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA6250 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6250 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Waterford
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.