Course offerings lead to the Master of Arts in Music with either a Music Education or General Music Concentration. Students at Jacksonville State University choose between an instrumental or vocal/choral program of study, and engage in activities that nourish both broad and specific educational needs. With a flexible course schedule that provides both evening and summer classes, the JSU Music Department makes a commitment to serve the regional educational community, and helps foster and preserve a high level of musical instruction.
About the department
A fully-accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Music, the music department offers graduate instruction by highly-qualified faculty members with significant professional experience. Small classes and many opportunities for one-on-one instruction create a comfortable and stimulating educational environment.
We invite you to schedule a visit to campus or contact us with any questions, and look forward to helping you further your career in music.
Music Education Concentration
- Instrumental Emphasis
- Vocal/Choral Emphasis
- Instrumental - Alternative Class A Program with a Major in Music Education P-12
- Vocal/Choral - Alternative Class A Program with a Major in Music Education P-12
- Instrumental with no thesis
- Instrumental with thesis
- Vocal/Choral with no thesis
- Vocal/Choral with thesis
- Music Literature: Renaissance and Baroque Eras
- Music Literatures: Classic Era
- Music Literature: Romantic Era
- Music Literature: Contemporary Era
- Music Theory: Style Analysis
- Research Methods in Music and Music Education
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Music Musicology View 1062 other Masters in Music in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed JSU Graduate Application for Admission.
- Non-refundable $35.00 application processing fee.
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities with degrees posted. (Students who have previously attended JSU do not need to request a transcript from the university.)
- Three Graduate Reference Forms completed by individuals who can provide qualitative assessment of the applicant’s potential for success in graduate coursework. Reference forms will be submitted electronically. Instructions for submission will be sent through email to the applicant upon submission of the online graduate application.
- Applicants must take the graduate music diagnostic exam given by the Music Department. The examination requires students to demonstrate competence in the theory of music, knowledge of the history and literature of music, and an applied music audition.
International25600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 800 USD per credit during 12 months.
National25600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 800 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State12800 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 400 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Jacksonville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.