Students of the Counselor Education program at Jacksonville State University become competent in utilizing the Alabama State Department of Education Comprehensive Counseling and Guidance Plan that exemplifies national standards. The focus is to educate school counselors, and enable them to address elementary and secondary student's needs in the areas of academic, career, and personal/social development.
Teaching, scholarship, and service are values demonstrated throughout the program. Self-awareness, intellectual development, and social consciousness are supported and encouraged.
The mission of the Counselor Education programs is to train Professional School and Clinical Mental Health Counselors. Students acquire a foundation in the counseling core, and strength in the specialty field courses in program development, consultation and intervention, counseling children and adolescents, individual and group assessment, psychological first aid, crisis counseling, psychopharmacology, addictions, and marriage/couple/family counseling.
- Survey Course in Special Education
- Assessment in Counseling
- Research in Education
- Lifespan Development
- Professional Ethics and Legal Issues
- Career Development
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology School Counselling Counselling Psychology View 661 other Masters in Counselling Psychology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed JSU Graduate Application for Admission.
- Non-refundable $35.00 application processing fee.
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities with degrees posted. (Students who have previously attended JSU do not need to request a transcript from the university.)
- Background check. Any candidate applying for admission to a state approved teacher education program shall be required to be fingerprinted for a criminal history background check through the Alabama State Department of Education to the Alabama Bureau of Investigation (ABI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Applicants should contact Cogent Systems for directions in completing this process.
- Professional resume.
- Three Graduate Reference Forms completed by individuals who can provide qualitative assessment of the applicant’s potential for success in graduate coursework.
- Applicants must have completed a minimum of two full years of full-time, acceptable P-12 professional educational work experience prior to unconditional admission to the program and will document their educational experience on the state-approved Supplemental EXP Form.
International18000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 800 USD per credit during 24 months.
National18000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 800 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State9000 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 400 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Jacksonville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.