Students may focus their course work in American or European history and will acquire a broad knowledge and marketable skills that prepare them for a Ph.D. program in history or for a career teaching at the middle school, high school, or community-college level or working in governmental and non-governmental agencies. The career opportunities for individuals with a master's degree in history are endless. To see what the American Historical Association lists as among the most popular career paths available to history majors, visit the American Historical Association's careers page.The traditional history track requires all graduate students to take the Graduate Methods course. Plan A, or the thesis track, requires 33 sh of graduate history course work, including the thesis. At least 15 sh must be in the major field (United States or European) and 6 sh in thesis. The student must write the thesis under the direction of a History faculty member and defend it in an oral examination before a thesis committee. Plan B, or the non-thesis track, requires 9 hours of European History, 9 hours of U.S. History, and 4 electives. Students complete their program with three research credit hours.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Materials Culture
- Seafaring in North America
- Nautical Archaeology Seminar
- Spanish Florida in Anthropological Perspective
- Pre-Columbian Archaeology Seminar
- Historical Archaeology Seminar
- Historical Research Methods in Archaeology
- Policies, Practices and Archaeology in Historic Preservation
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesHistory View 487 other Masters in History in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Submission of official GRE Verbal and Quantitative scores of at least 151 and Analytical Writing score of at least 3.5 or equivalent GRE percentile performance under the old testing platform; OR Official MAT scaled score of at least 415
- Submission of letter of intent
- Submission of writing sample (undergraduate research paper preferred)
- Oral interview, if deemed appropriate
- Minimum of 15 semester hours of upper division history courses
International1029 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1029 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National463 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 463 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
In-State369 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 369 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.