As e-commerce generally involves the integration of technology and management, this award covers both aspects. In terms of technology, it offers students the opportunity to examine various issues that arise in conducting business related to networked and on-line commerce, with a focus on the enabling technologies and techniques. Hence, graduates will be able to effectively contribute to the planning, development, deployment and management of e-commerce systems and applications. In terms of management, the award helps students to understand the opportunities offered by e-commerce and the issues involved in employing and managing e-commerce systems. The specific objectives are to help students gain:
- A good understanding of e-commerce fundamentals, particularly the enabling technologies;
- The ability to appraise tools such as e-commerce platforms, HTTP servers, secure transaction software and firewalls, database systems, heterogeneous networks, intelligent agents, etc.;
- The ability to understand the realities and potential of e-commerce (e.g. costs and benefits) and to appreciate the potential and limitations of different types of technologies related to e-commerce and Internet computing; and
- The ability to construct a variety of e-commerce systems for trading products and services, and managing vendor relations.
- This programme is offered within the Postgraduate Scheme in Computing.
- Students have the freedom to change their specialty and ultimate award.
- Flexible modes of study, i.e. both full-time and part-time, are available.
- Up to 15 credits can be transferred so that students can graduate earlier if they have sufficient background in related fields.
- All first-year students are eligible to apply for an Alan Turing Entrance Scholarship.
- PolyU alumni can apply for the COMP Alumni Scholarship to the value of 15% of the tuition fee of subjects taken in the first year of study.
- Some subjects are included on the Continuing Education Fund (CEF) list of reimbursable courses.
- Services Science Management
- Enterprise Web and Internet Computing for Managers
- Internet Computing and Applications
- Biometric Authentication: System and Application
- Information Security: Technologies and Systems
- Mobile Computing and Data Management
- Knowledge Management and Applications
- Information Systems Acquisition and Integration
- Information System Development with OO Methods
- Information Systems Audit and Control
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesCommerce View 3 other Masters in Commerce in Hong Kong (SAR)
- Targets Honours degree of various disciplines.
If you are not a native speaker of English, and your Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification is awarded by institutions where the medium of instruction is not English, you are expected to fulfil the University’s minimum English language requirement for admission purpose.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.